About New England Farmers Union
NEFU is committed to enhancing the quality of life of family farmers.
NEFU was founded in 2006 as a charter member of the National Farmers Union (NFU) an agricultural advocacy organization founded in 1902 and based in Washington, D.C.
NEFU farmers and fishermen drive policy positions. Our members engage New England elected officials and public agencies, and press them to implement and enforce laws and regulations that will strengthen New England’s agriculture and fisheries. Legislators from our region look to NEFU when deciding how to vote on policies that will have an impact on issues such as:
• Dairy: New England dairies are small and face different issues than dairy farms in other parts of the country. NEFU works with lawmakers to ensure that our region’s dairy farmers have a voice in shaping policies that affect milk prices and regulations.
• Direct Sales: New England farmers rely on sales directly to consumers and local food producers. NEFU fights to protect the economic viability of small-scale growers and producers.
• Sustainability: New England farmers leverage resources from public agencies to develop sustainable practices that protect their long-term viability. NEFU educates legislators about how small investments in our region can have a significant impact on our food, the environment and our economy.
• Conservation: From our coastlands to our mountains, New England abounds with natural resources and beauty. NEFU advocates for policies that preserve our rural and coastal landscape while enhancing our region’s economic well-being.
• Energy and Food Security: By promoting co-operative educational and business enterprises, NEFU works to ensure that our children will live in a region that can feed and fuel itself.
Who We Support
If you are a family farmer, New England Farmers Union is where you belong. Whether you grow corn, beans, grapes, wheat, cattle, fruit or vegetables, farm in the country or in the city, New England Farmers Union supports you in agriculture through education, legislation and cooperation.
To learn more about our family farming policies, download the National Farmers Union policy book.
Throughout the New England region, farmers markets play a valuable role in bringing consumers and farmers together. Local produce hubs offer an entry point for emerging farmers as well as adding great value for established farmers. Through its support for locally-grown and marketed produce, New England Farmers Union plays a leading role in bringing produce from the farm to the table.
To find an New England farmers market near you, visit the Farmers Market Online listing page.
Mission & Vision
New England Farmers Union (NEFU), a membership organization, is committed to enhancing the quality of life for family farmers, fishermen, nurserymen and their customers through educational opportunities, co-operative endeavors and civic engagement.
New England Farmers Union will continue to be the respected, influential and independent state voice and coalition leader that bridges family producers and consumers on behalf of a vibrant and growing grassroots membership.